Wednesday, June 20, 2007

cross king




todd wells


ya i watched him race last saturday, get a flat on the 1st lap, lose a lot of time, then charge the field to get 7th. its not just the flat. its the cut/ruined tire, the ride to the pit and the wheel change. thats a lot of wasted time to make up. especially on that course where passing on the dh and a lot of the uphill 1 track is pretty hard.




Hey Chris,


Good to see you at Deer Valley. Sorry it took me so long to get thsi back to you but here you go...

do you really like sager

No, but I think he needs a friend.


how do you travel all the time then get ready for big races without sucking or getting sick or dealing with jet lag, finding good food. or being away from family and friends long question but i always wonder

Well, I do get sick and suck at a lot of races. I hate jet lag. It has to be one of the worst feelings in the world and I do miss my wife and dog a lot.When you do something long enough you just get use to it and deal with the fact that you're not always going to be great and you're probably going to get sick eventually.I try to go home as much as possible between races to hang with my wife, dog and friends. Also, I find it easier to get good training in at home where I know the roads, trails etc.When I have a lot of races in a row on the road I just try to rest as much as possible and find fun things to do to pass the time.

the dart is super fast and young tell us about him shortly

The dart is pretty incredible. I think he's 19 this year but he seems much older and is definitely faster then most 19 year olds. He lives in SA where he has been racing since he was a little kid. He raced DH worlds as a junior and has riden motor bikes his whole life. I think he ran cross country in high school as well but now races XC full time. When he isn't in the US or Europe he's racing marathon XCs in SA. He almost hooked up with a really hot Swedish chick at our Euro Press camp last week.
the dart is his team mate burry who is only 19 yrs old and kicks ass already.


how is it to race mtn bikes then do cyclocross, thats a long season

It does make it a really long season. Since I started racing again in 01 I have always raced cross too so I don't know any better. Cross is such a cool sport and scene, I wish it didn't get harder every year.I get more burned on the travel then I do on the actual racing. Cross is a good way to stay motivated in the early part of the winter and way better then riding the trainer.


how do you feel about womens liberation

I don't know, I'm not a woman but I guess they feel liberated.

when you are blown/muddy/hatin it in a world cup and your bike breaks what do you think about

I think about how much I wish I was home with my wife and dog in sunny Durango. I wish I was tubing the river and drinking beer or playing golf with my friends. I also think, what am I doing here? I don't belong here, these guys are way too fast.But then after I get into the shower with all my clothes on and destroy another euro bathroom but come out feeling clean and warm I start to feel better. 2 days later I'm looking forward to the next race.

do you think you will be like tinker or ned racing when you are 50 or older

I don't know. It sucks to get slower rather then faster but I really enjoy racing my bike. If I can keep getting a job to ride my bike I'll keep doing it. Unless something happens and I get really good at golf, Meg hits the lottery or I get run over by a bus, I'll do it as long as I can.

Thanks and let me know if you need anything else.

TW

No comments: