Friday, June 01, 2007

dh the dominator

dave harward


back in the mid 1990's dh was a mtn biker, he was a bit over weight sport class racer. he had back problems and was always the cordial nice guy. and still is, some guys let winning and success go to their head and forget about the guys in the past but dh never did that or would do that. hes still the same guy i knew 12 years ago. he used to ask me how to race and train, i dont remember what i said, something like put it in the big ring. i didnt know how to train either i just got lucky i guess and went fast. back in 2002/03 he started training with bill harris and those guys clicked. bills philosophy of training matched perfect with dh and he got really good and kicked ass on the mtn bike in 2003, then he switched full time to road and well you know started winning a lot since then. good to see a nice guy find the right training program, learn it and make it to the top. just so you know dh was always trying hard and its good to see perseverance pay off.


rip it road or mtn he'll make you hurt.


do you ever wish to be a pro mtn biker
Yes! But you must have forgotten how much of a geezer I am. It's not too loud, but I'm too old for the pro MTB game, unless you're looking to start up a pro-geezer team. I'm sure we could get Glen Adams to join us (remember being a geezer is cool). He's super fast. Seriously, I wish I would have known how to train properly back in the early 90s. That would have been a fun time to be a pro trying to keep up with Tomac and Tinker rolling it in the big ring. Maybe I should ditch the road bike now and go for it!

If you were going to the moon, who would you take?
Dona and the kids, Jade and Javan. Hopefully they make spacesuits for dogs and cats because we couldn't go without Rocco, Bella, Naya and Tigger.

• Do you ever feel you can't win?
I try to line up at every race with a confident attitude knowing that if I play my cards right I can win. Not sure if that is naive or just the hopes of a guy that is really competitive.

• Do you feel most people cheat if the conditions are right?
I hate to think that way. Unfortunately the news in cycling lately shows that cheating is a big problem with a lot of pro/ex-pro riders having to come clean about doping. When I read Riis' admission statement, he said that he let his ambition get the best of him. I'm not sure what it's like to feel the pressure of having the bike racing pay the bills, but risking your life with drugs is definitely letting your ambition take over. In general I think that probably a quarter of people cheat at some point when it counts. The impressive people are those who don't cheat when the conditions are right for cheating.

• If you could be granted superpowers, which superpower would you want?
To shred the DH!!! Seriously, I'd take Metal Skin.Here are some photos. The first two are of me, one of which was doctored by the Claw. The third is one to add to The Claw's interview.

Light things up at Sundance.
since claw got buried a week ago in blogs here is the claw back in the 1973 climbing some mtn in the tour.
yaa

No comments: