Friday, June 08, 2007

cx king



me and bart met at sundance 1989 we raced with the sport class and dusted them. 14 year olds working them over. ya, since then we raced a lot together been to mexico, cross nationals, mtn places all over. but never any where with out bikes. so most everyone knows bart cuz he wins in everything. cross, mtn, road, crits, ski races. who else does that, i dont know anyone.









1 why race ride or shred:

Its all I know. Cycling has made me who I am. You learn about yourself in the pain cave. The highs are higher and the lows are lower. Life stands still when on a bike and everything else fades into the background, its like Fight Club! I love anything on 2 wheels, complete freedom, you choose the path. I can't think of a better way to see the earth and explore. I love the people. I love the health. Its a lifetime activity that a family and friends can enjoy together.

If I did not race I would train just same, I train for life not racing. Being fit carries over to every part of life, once you have been a bike racer everything else is easier.

Racing is a means of expression. When an artist displays a piece of work they are vulnearable, everyone that lines up for a race places themselves in that same vulnerable situation, everyone can see what they got. Vulnerability makes you strong, physically, mentally, emotianally, and spirtiualy.
I don't think I really anwsered the question, blah blah blah!
2 what did you learn by being married:

Now or then? I learned to roll with the punches, life is not always what you planned. I learned/am learning how to better communicate my feelings. I am always learning how to be less selfish. Cyclists are selfish, it takes alot of time to be good, I try to balance things but you would have to ask Rosie if am succesfull. I am a fan of quanity time with Eva.

3 hows the plush livin up in the emigration:

Emigration Canyon is a great place to live, close to town but up in the mountains. I love the wildlife and being above the inversion. The commute is great, 1500ft in 7 miles on the way home. The aroma wafting out of Ruth's at 6:45 am is amazing. A good chunk of my riding is to and from work, makes it so I can spend allot of time with my family. Riding down the hill in the winter in the dark is not always fun but I enjoy the challenge, I have learned how to ride in any condition. -7F going downhill is my record so far, that's nothing for the alaska guys. I also enjoy working in the yard and having room to build stuff, I am about done with a singletrack loop around my house, will be great for TT's, pit bikes, and teaching little Eva to shred.

Having said all this I am not dead set on the canyon, who knows I may move next year. I liked living in olympus cove, maybe I will move back. happiness is not where your at its who your with, right!

4 whats your philosophy on dating or finding that special someone:

I got lucky, real lucky. Rosie rules and I don't know how to explain our getting together. I guess an open mind is important and when you have something good don't be afraid to commit.
5 if you had super powers what would it be:

I don't want super powers, to much responsibility. Its like money, the more you have the more responsibility you have to do good with it. Although the other day I saw a hawk sweep down and pick up a snake and thought flying would be pretty cool, good flowing one track is about as close as we get.

6 are you going to be like tinker, racing pro when you are 50 doing 100 milers:

I hope so. I don't see why I can't keep improving. Endurance sports are great that way, you can keep building the engine. Look at Ned this year at the Teva Mtn games. I may take a year off from doing all the XC races and just do tons of riding and few endurance adventure races, will see. Maybe get back into the road scene, or BMX, who knows? Or maybe I will just continue to race, commute, and enjoy my family and friends.

I can't wait to shred with Eva!


No comments: