Tuesday, June 05, 2007

kday racing

kevin day


kday is a thin climber when hes on form at snowbird, solitude or park city he can float up the mtn with climb-um and bart. back in 2001 he won the semi pro deer valley national and then moved up to pro. i have known him ever since he was a junior probably over 10 years ago. since then he got married, goes to school all the time, commutes 50 miles a day, works full time and races. i dont know how he gets it done.





way more than i can deal with. oh ya he rides wheelies at 30mph down hill. crazy.






here is kday, his wife shannon and his dad cid.







1 since you are married tell us how to get it done
I have it pretty good. I consider my self a very fortunate person when it comes to doing
the things I enjoy and I have Shan to thank for that. She is by far the best supporter I
could ever ask for. She understands the time and effort it takes to be a competitive
cyclist and she's willing to sacrifice a lot just for me. We both put in 100% to our
marriage and that's how we get it done. Get her side of the story
http://sday.wordpress.com/

2 do you wish you could race pro full time with out a job

Do I ever! It all boils down to time... Time time time, people waste too much time
complaining about not having enough time. For me, I function better when I have more
things to do. Sure I get stressed and often spend my nights working on design projects
when I should be sleeping, but I make things work. I don't stress too much about
training. In fact, I really don't train that much. I try to ride to work as much as
possible and sometimes on my lunch brake I do a few hill intervals but for the most part
I just ride when it's convenient. If I could race pro full time with out a job I would do
it in a hear beat. I would invest more time in a training program and enjoy living the
dream of a professional athlete. There's nothing better than being called up among the
best in the sport at a National bike race, but to be among those who finish in the top 10
would be fantastic. Maybe some day.

3 do you ever listen to kid rock or eminem, or what kind of music gets you amped

Any thing by Thievery Corporation kills it. My iTunes playlists is expanding like our universe...
I can't say I'm much of a Kid Rock or Eminem fan but I do enjoy a few good tracks from
various artist before each race. Most of the time though the songs I listen to to get me
amped don't seem to play in my head during the race. It's always something that I haven't
listened to in a long time and usually sucks. Maybe I need some musical therapy. Is there
such a thing? What do you suggest?

4 can you ask your in laws to fly us to the next big race in their plane

Sure, I bet they'd even let you fly co-pilot

5 why do like to ride and race

I ask my self that same question all the time. I answer that question with another ride
or race. I've been racing bikes since I was 13 and I've loved almost every minute of it.
the past few years have been a bit of a struggle for me because of school, but now that's
out of the way I feel as if I'm starting all over again. Plus I just built up the old
Homegrown and I'm super excited to be riding that again. Cycling has provided me with
huge opportunities in life and taken me to so many cool places. I am who I am because of
my love for cycling and those who cycle as well.

6 Tell me about a time when you were late or absent to work. How did you communicate that to your supervisor?

My current job rocks. even though we're always busy and often times working late hours, they're very laid back. My last job/internship is a bit different though. I wasn't scheduled to work mondays because of school, but on this particular monday school was out. I went skiing. the following tuesday I called in sick because i had a few projects to catch up on for wed. Later that week I took friday off so I could go to St. George and race bikes. My boss was pretty upset and called me in for an official write-up. Submitted to upper management and every thing. He was a pretty bitter man and just one of the many reasons I quit that place to move on to better and brighter design job.

No comments: