Sunday, October 21, 2007

mid atlantic cross series


must be some where in baltimore. ask forrest.







i found this on some guys blog named fat marc.

and i liked it.

The funny thing about cyclocross is that despite it being a great community, we constantly kill ourselves. To earn a good result, a good starting position is really helpful. To get a good starting position you have to earn series points, which you have to earn by strong results. Kind of the Chicken and the Egg huh? So if you can be consistent, pull a couple top 25's , you can earn a shot at a good start, which can give you a shot to win.


Now be careful, because as soon as you win, some motherfucker will call you a sandbagger, and besmirch your good name on some email listserve. They will go Googling your results for the past 3 years, all in effort to blacken your eye. This is all the prize you get for earning what everyone who pays their money to race dreams of doing, to win. You work your ass off, you struggle to get better, you focus your season on cross, you finally win, and then because you are a winner, you must be killed.

Sorry.


Those are the rules. Every time I think we as a community have grown past it, sure enough it happens all over again... Like a bad dejavu...
Cyclocross is a sick beast. But I digress, Saturday, the only reason I stayed in was the thought that by crossing that tape, walking off the course, I would screw not only today's race but potentially much of the rest of the season. As embarrassed as I was, I hate quiting. I hate admitting that I'm done. And as much I hate chasing points, some days, that's a product of what we do.
Sick game.

No comments: