Friday, July 13, 2007

back at it. and its friday 13th

brandon firth

works at stein in dv, hangs with busra and bjorn.

lives the high rollin pc life style. jet sets to ski and bike shows. rips dv trails in the summer on 12" travel bikes and gets to ski for free with the pc millionaires.


ya


he also is addicted to racing. you can see him at every ICUP, cyclocross, sundance, soho, solitude weekly series and some ski races. also he has been at it since i can remember back in 93, or before.

he now resides with his wife and kids in heber city.

do you ever wish to be a pro mtn biker
If you were going to the moon, who would you take?
• Do you ever feel you can't win?
• Do you feel most people cheat if the conditions are right?
• If you could be granted superpowers, which superpower would you want?

#3 wasnt about races, its about other stuff.
or you could take it as a race, i just thought about it.

#1 the travel would be impossible at this stage of my life. I have been fortunate enough to see the best parts of the world through athletic pursuits, but at this stage of life with family, work etc. there is no way I could do it. Its funny though because back in the early days of Mtb racing you raced with the top guys at a lot of events. Guys like T-Mac, Rishi, Tinker, Bob Roll, DP, Glen Adams, Stenger all these guys knew how to hammer. They are now legends. It was different back then, now its well its just not as cool as it once was. The races, the venues the promoters. I remember racing with like 100+ guys back in 95-96 at Mammoth. Snow summitt, DV, Cactus cups. Back then a top ten or fifteen was big. Now in the experts, semi pros or pros there are maybe 100 guys combined... No cash, no sponsors. WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR SPORT.
But I like the way I race now pick a few races to do well in and live a full life... Do it all..... family work race.. Thats the Ned Overend program of the 90's.. Not that I am half the athlete he is. But it can be done.. Sometimes you can still go fast even with a full plate. Bart G has proved that over the last few seasons. Besides I think I would get bored being a full time pro...But then again it would be sweet to focus on the bike full time, just for the simplicity of it...

#2 I would want to take my wife Jessica. That way I know that I would make it back, she knows how to keep me on track!!!!!

#3 Winning is a funny thing, I found out early in life that being a winner is different for everyone. For some its the win (which is all so sweet). But for others it may just be reaching goals.. Or putting it all out there, giving all you have got. That to me is winning. I believe as long as you are realistic about goals and results you can always be a winner.

#4 I hope that competitors are honest, But I have to say that I have seen a few strange things over the years.. At big and small events. But being a optimistic person, I think most true athletes follow the rules.
Then again you see the doping problems, and it makes you really wonder... In the world it seems that there is a lot of dishonesty and it makes me sad. But I hope that its just the few bad seeds that stand out, and most are trying to do good.

#5 Superpower, Huh never though about that one before, I guess if I could have any super gift I would hope to be the best Dad ever... Thats more important to me than anything. Dads out there know what I mean.. Its a constant never ending dedication to being the man to those little grommets. It is not easy....
So give me super dad power. It would be cool to fly though....

1 comment:

Piotrek said...

Hey, he sounds like a normal guy.