Saturday, July 22, 2006

up at 4am rode 5 hrs then went to bed

the E50 debacle, i have to say it i was going pretty good and won the race but boris told me im a dnf because i did miss some of the trail.

i agree, but it still sucks. i was hauling so much ass on the downhill i passed a turn and trimmed 10 mins off the course skipping the first feed zone and missing my drinks and food. i rode 3.5 hrs on 1 small gatorade. it didnt seem to bother me. i had a few other problems.

at the start i felt my front tire, it was low. i tried pumping it up with my air can, it was empty. so they said go 5 seconds later and i raced with a low tire. i wasnt able to rally the corners as hard so i just rode with a couple 1 speeders across mid mtn in 2nd place the whole 1st 20 miles i couldnt rip the dh and that sucked.

a bee flew into my helmet stinging me in the head. i stop throw the bike down, throw my helmet, start punching the air. then continue on with a throbbing in my head. good thing they dont really bug me that bad, linde got stung in the face and he looks like ATRAIN.



the zipper blew up on my jersey soon as they said go. i looked down and the zipper handle fell off.
what a joke,. i spent the next 5 hrs riding around pc ala kloden, lookin like a total idiot "wow look at my massive pecs everyone"


so after i find myself 1/2 mile up the stage 2 climb (1/2 mile above the feed zone) 1 hr 45 mins into the race, on the dirt road i decide to keep riding and finish knowing i am not racing anymore. i just cut 10 mins off the trail and missed the feed zone, missing the pump and the drink, and the food. i rode up into jupiter bowl for another hr or so, broke a rear spoke, stopped to remove it. my road bar tape came up done, what a joke, i stopped to re wrap my bars. then i stopped to take a leak, maybe i thought someone would catch up to me, they never did. well jack did with like 3 miles to go. while i was at a water hole cooling down over on deer crest.
anyway i rode over to upper deer valley, i was riding real slow,... really. i didnt know why nobody caught up to me.

i put this new lefty on my bike yesterday and it has too much air in it, my hands are arms are more tired than my legs. i was riding down nail driver real slow. wasnt able to hammer the dh all day from the low front tire.

i had my phone and was calling sean in the feed zones i was riding so slow and bored he was laughing thinking im supposed to be racing but im calling him on the phone riding downhill on 1 track with the phone in my hand and other hand on the bar. ya i was cruising.

i get to the dv feed zone in 4 hrs get a mtn dew and take off for the last 10 miles with my jersey blowing in the wind. i wonder what people were thinking?

so then the course goes down into deer crest the the lap of the norba we did last 2 weeks ago. i short climb up to the paved gates at deer crest then up little stick and down to tour de homes i decided to hammer the last climb and won the race in 4 hr 45 mins but with all my problems and short cut i still think i could have done it under 4.5 hrs. last year the course was a bit longer, it took me 7 hrs 10 mins. i was blown hard core. so i shaved off a few hours and felt good doin it.

then from dv they say i was a hot commodity, with my blown jersey everyone lookin at me, wonderin how i finished so fast, did a few tv interviews, (yay)
and rode down the hill back to the van at the canyons.


oh well theres a nice summer story for you.
im goin back to bed.

1 comment:

s day @ sdayrunning.blogspot.com said...

Sly, you are awesome. I would have quit in as soon as the zipper broke.....that's why your getten skinney on the bike and I am getting fat on the court.
peace.