Thursday, August 16, 2007

i wasnt going to write anything

i have not felt like putting anything up on the www for a few days, i did a few night rides.

but then


then i saw this and changed my mind. i feel the same way as tbird wrote his latest entry, i know how he feels and know where hes coming from.
i dont like being one of those guys either.
you know the guy at the race where people want to beat, its makes their day. like i rub it in ones face when time and time again i crush them. everyone has up and down days on the racing circuit.

mostly for me its below par, once in a while i impress myself. but overall its worse than normal.


im not comparing myself to tbird. i know where hes coming from. us old jaded racers. im no pro, but i see what hes saying,
people always asking why you didnt win
more people asking what went wrong when you didnt win
same people not saying anything to you when you crush them for years then one day you suck and they get you by a minute and its their best day of life.
then those people years later telling the story, "remember that day i kicked your ass by a minute"

ya i hate it,
first it makes me wonder why im the guy to beat, why im on the radar, im not the king.
sometimes i think i am, but i won one race this year,

5 months ago.
i dont like lining up for training races. in july, august or sept. knowing its going to suck, how the good days of spring are long gone, easy ass kickings are over for awhile, knowing its for the greater good of 6 weeks down the road the pain will turn into ass whoopins with no effort.
lining up knowing its a slaugterfest and in an hour its over but its going to suck so bad,

trying to get used to the insane fast starts, the first 10 minutes of pin to win it style that you need not to bogged down by traffic and 1 track.

they hurt in the beginning but after a few weeks its like a sunday stroll. pinning it at hr 195 for 10 mins to get rid of unwanted baggage.


but i have heard many stories and people say about me.
say it, ive heard it, bring it, talk the trash, i deserve it. i instigate it so deal with it.

like lately, im not fast, i didnt train or race much for the past 2 months. so last week i decide its time to get in some 1 hr hard races.
i went to solitude and got my ass kicked

i went to soldier hollow yesterday and got worked over again, ya im feeling better but chris holley josh and tyson kicked my ass on the climbs.

even brian, barts little brother was giving it a go and laying it all out. he was right in there as well.

kenny jones on a 1 speed not far off the pace, brandon firth. it was a pretty close race after an hour.

so i dont win but it makes some guys day to beat me at a weekly race.

its goes something like this,
sly
so you blew up again, didnt win, gave the race away. etc.

rider with no name
ya but i didnt care cuz i was ahead of you.


im not sure to be proud of that or not. if some guys race performance is good judged on whether they beat me and not win the race or not.


all i know is if im so out of race shape these guys who can kick me while im down better get their licks in.

theres a cross race next week, then i'll probably hit up some rmr and dmv. just so the roadies can get a dose of cyclo cross pain i'll be dishin out in october.

if you see me take off at the start dont chase me cuz i'll probably blow up.

better practice your bunny hops, im up to 26"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I know where you're coming from as well. The past few seasons I've had to deal with some of the same situations, but also with non racing family and friends. It's been hard trying to ballance life and bike racing. Bike racing at an elite level takes more time, effort and money than most people know. There are a handfull of riders that have a pretty good ballance and are able to keep the wheels spinning fast at every race, but they too have their down days. For me, I haven't quite found that ballance. I feel good about my fitness and the efforts I've given so far, because for now, I'm happy and I feel like I'm almost doing the best I can with what I've been given. I've learned a lot and hopefully with that, I can improve upon what I have now so that next season and the season after that... I can continue to do well and be happy.

Anonymous said...

It only makes my day when you come up to me before the race and you say. I am gong to whoop your ass today.I tried to roll it off my back, then as i get dressed you tell me I was going to easy to beat with the bike i was riding. then while i go to warm up the garbage flies again and you tell me i better go get ready for it. hey i can handle the trash talk but that is how you became the target. if it had been holly,tyson,kenny,chuck or any one else i would have made them my target.Then it would have made my day to beat them to.Then when you lost,of course i am going to rub it in.like how you where rubbing it in my face before the race.i guess it is a good lesson in karama. lets all not forget that we are doing this for fun they are just bikes something all people can do and enjoy.

Team Rico said...

That separates you from all the dopers out there Sly. I wish I could win them all too but I dont have that perscription for HGH, Testosterone and EPO. Thats what makes local racing so fun!

Looking forward to cross...Rico

StupidBike said...

I like to win, yet rarely do. I am pretty sure I won exactly zero races this year, I won exactly one in 2006, exactly 2 in 2005, pretty sure zero in 04 and 03 I won 2 sport races, so yeah, that is rough, but i love it, and occasionally I go faster, i have heard of people who want to only beat me, more power to them. Cause, who am i.

drrna said...

I used to be feared, now I'm fearful.