Monday, April 16, 2007

get your autographed copy now

boris gave me a 100 of these post cards. he promotes the E100 races with 10 different people on each one, gives them out to advertise his race series. so now im famous, along with 9 other people included kenny jones, lynda, dave h, and some other people who like to ride for 10 or more hours.


yaa
they are going fast so get yours now.


driving for 10 or more hours gives me time to think, about what i did right and wrong. im talking about analyzing my race performance, what i can do different. work on weakness' and race the strengths.


i came up with this, im not comparing the people in this story just the situation. 2 weeks in a row i was up against the same thing. 2 guys on the same teams, doing the same tactics. now i know there is a lesson here for growth but i cant figure it out yet so if you guys know, please enlighten me cuz i dont want it to happen again.

2 guys following, letting me work more.

2 guys faster than me, sitting and watching. hanging back for the kill.

2 guys on the same team or wearing the same kit

2 courses similar in length and terrain, short power climbs, not selective enough to get big time gains on steep climbs or long twisty down hills.


me cracking near the end and getting dropped.

me not drinking enough.

so the obvious is dont be at the front, and drink more. but im looking for something bigger and deeper than that. maybe there is nothing more, and it comes down to waiting and hydration.
i was upset yesterday about the way the race panned out at the end, those guys were better and i shouldnt have ripped them. i probably would have done the same move if i could have. its frustration nothing more. i dont like racing that way, thats why im not at a road race every week. ya i know all the roadies (burk, j-lao, dh, team rico, turbo and more) are laughing. ok get your kicks
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile

10 comments:

drrna said...

Sly, first I need a postcard.

Sometimes you have to think like a roadie. At the Otter you should have made those guys take pulls and make them try to drop you. If they don't want to take a pull, then that means they let everyone else back in the race. Pretty unlikely that they would do that. Bottom line is that you're in a tough spot if it's 2 on 1, but usually people aren't savvy enough to really take full advantage. Against Bart and Sager you were probably fked.

Forrest said...

You just have to get stronger and ride them off your wheel, like Pre would have done if he lived to see the 76 olympics.

KATHY SHERWIN said...

dude, that happened to me too. Like I said, I practically had to stop the damn bike (not exaggerating here) and that still didn't shake the chick off my wheel in that section. Ridiculous for sure. It's not in your or my nature to back off in a race because that isn't mtbing. I would rather hammer than play silly reindeer games too. We will be faster and have better fitness in the end for it. It's all good.

Bart G said...

fox- at cholla you led about 1/2 of lap 2 and that was only because you punched it by us when we stopped to get some water. I would have been happy to have you follow us around until the end but you were trying to drop me on the flat stuff and it came back to haunt you later. Sager and I used no tatics in that race, we just rode.
I would not sweat it, sounds like you were going good at the otter.

Anonymous said...

the winner of the rat race is still a rat. it sucks to lose that way and sucks worse to have to race that way, but it is a race so you should to race to win and the fact of racing (and life) is that the strongest does not always win. if you just want to go and hammer, go hammer and don't worry about the result.

jsager said...

oh snap, bart just laid it down on you, but that's ok because you were racing at the cholo. yardman was hurting, and you kicked him when he was down. good on ya. I'd expect no less when it comes to me.

Dave Harris said...

Fox, you have some roadie blood in ya - think back to 313 in the rim ride.

From another angle, I remember you from the E100 12 hour in '05 and I was thinking "is that really Chris Fox?" The last time I saw you was while you were lapping the semis in Durango '03 natz. Looking where you are now, it's nothing short of an inspirational leap.

So maybe it's frustrating, but it sure could be a lot worse.

StupidBike said...

Yaaaaaaaa

Anonymous said...

someone call a WAAAAAAAAAmbulance. You just got beat......and it will happen again and again. Someone's got your number dude

Grizzly Adam said...

Usually I just get lapped.