Wednesday, May 30, 2007

run forrest run


forrest


i had to use this pic, its great.
being green, riding to work. rippin up the roads.

well this year we started talkin but i have known his since 1996 when we were both fast racing semi pros in 1996 at the big norbas. i saw him at the races. i didnt know he lived here from him. the weird thing i know his father in law. at the time i was mailing a bunch of internet orders every night at the airport post office probably about 4 years ago. lets call him clyde, the weird funny guy at the post office. always asking me what i was mailing, conversations switch to forrest, "ya my daughter is going out with this crazy biker snow boarder forrest, do you know him?" umm ya i do, that was weird. thats why i asked him about his wifes dad.


1 how is life in the conservative bee hive state


Its offensive at times. If you have lived anywhere else you know what I mean by that statement. I say live and let live! But I wouldnt be here if I didnt love it. I can rip on this state, but it has more going for it than not going for it, you need to look at the big picture, and right now the big picture is good to me and my family, its a good place for our kids to grow up too. Besides the snowboarding here cant be beat, thats what drew me here and kept me here. From big mountain riding, powder and to jibbing the rails, Utah rules in winter!

2 what do you think of your father in law

He means well, I think he needs a cool girlfriend that would be a positive influence on him. Working at the Post office your whole life will do odd things to a man.

3 racing green, will you be riding to deer valley or sundance in the next few weeks,

riding to those races I dont know if I can even race those races yet with my schedule. Racing for me is usually spur of the moment now. I was thinking about Deer Valley, climb up and over Big Cottonwood, but getting home would really hurt. But I was planning on racing green for Snowbird or the state Champs at Solitude. Nothing like 2-3 thousand vertical warmup for a race. This is my green philosophy, do what you can do. Cars are a reality and necessity for modern life, but if you can cut back, it helps with the inversion. Yeah I rip around on snowmobiles on occasion in the winter to access some snowboard lines, but I figure if I commute and race green as much as possible its an overall benefit. Plus I didnt have a car until I was 25, I got some carbon credits to my name. I biked everywhere, to school, to dates, even to do my laundry, etc.... I would even hitchike to NORBA Nationals back in the day with my bike too. When I finally got a car, I had quit racing and got lazy for a few years, I am trying to change that now. If everyone did something small, it adds up to something big. If everyone commuted only 5 times a year to work the overall benefit would be big. I am no nazi when it comes to my philosophy on life, live and let live, I am the one that has to look myself in the mirror at the end of the day.

4 why race a 1 speed any way, i dont get you guys

Short answer- it builds character.

Long answer- I didnt understand it either at first. Then a friend of mine dared me to do 24hrs of Moab solo and on his singlespeed back in 98. He wanted me to be the first to do a 24 hr race on it. I took him up on the offer and it showed me it wasnt always about the bike but about the self. I was hooked. I stoked people out when I finished. The next year Stamstead did 24hrs on a single speed and got second by less than a minute. He almost won the damn race on a singlespeed. I dont ride the singlespeed all the time though. Most mtn bike rides I ride my geared bike. I just like racing on it, it makes you tough and I love passing guys on the downhill on their full suspension bikes. Its a personal challenge. Sometimes its how you race that is more important than the result. Thats why I told you to race like Prefontaine! Its not always how you do in the race but how you carried yourself in the race. It proves its about the rider not the bike.

5 where would you be if you didnt meet your wife

Probably partying and losing focus on the big picture. I got off track for a few years. she grounded me and I think I also grounded her. Her and her boys put life in a new perspective. To be honest it was weird to go from no focus to being a provider for a family. It woke me up.

if you guys are bored with the interviews too bad. i think its funny, the same questions over and over. different people with diff views. i should have thought of this a year ago.
how many times do you keep coming back to see what sly did today, god knows that gets boring.

yaaaa big ring.

in my odd existence, i got a new couch, set up wireless multi in office computers, got 500 items of clothing ready to unload.

no race tonight, im tired from monday. but sundance saturday. that will be good. shred the bike messenger sat night.

yaaa the long sunny days are here.
and some new kick ass tunes at the bottom of the play list. if that music doesnt make you want to rip trail then you got problems.

more interviews..

jeff louder comin up in a few days, jeff bates, steve wasmund, t bird.

ya good times


heres cancer free master bates 24 hrs moab 1 speed class.
bunch of freaks.

1 comment:

Forrest said...

Big ups on CANCER FREE!!! My wife had it and my friend is dying from skin cancer, did not catch it in time. WEAR SUNSCREEN!! NEVER EVER GO TANNING!!!